Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Old Man Winter Pays a Visit

April 14, 2009 – Day 104

Bundled in my winter coat and scarf, I took this picture as my bus was pulling up to my stop at 5 to 7 this morning. Winter was back. Thankfully, it was only a short visit though; by the time I got off work this afternoon spring had returned.

The worst spring snowfall I remember was on May 20, 1997. In Edmonton, hundreds of trees already lush with leaves on their branches were damaged, snapping under the weight of the heavy snow. Some of those branches fell on vehicles and other things, causing additional, costly damage. The sound of the snapping branches was eerie, bringing to mind what a war zone might sound like.

3 comments:

  1. I love your picture, it depicts city life to a T! Mind you I don't particularly love the snow but with the memory you have shared from 1997 I now have a new perspective on what I woke up to this morning. It really wasn't all that bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing you remember that exact date in 97, I barely remember what I did last week sometimes.

    Hopefully that is it for this year, what a miserable winter/spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's only because I took pictures of it and wrote the date on the back of the pics Shayne, otherwise I'd never remember either. :-)

    ReplyDelete