Friday, April 3, 2009

Cherry Blossom

April 3, 2009 – Day 93

When my sisters and I were young, we never had a regular allowance but once in a while mom would give us a dollar to share between the 4 of us. Back then, 25 cents went a long way. Our favourite place to go with our loot was Syl’s Confectionery in High Prairie, where we’d spend every cent. We could buy five pieces of Double Bubble gum for a penny, Mojo candies were two for a penny, a Pep chocolate/mint bar was five cents. There were so many candies to choose from and it took us what seemed like hours to make our selections but by the end of our shopping excursion we would have a brown sandwich bag more than half full of candy. I bet mom gave us that dollar knowing it would buy her some free time! :-)

Once in a while we would spend more of our 25 cents on one item: chips were ten cents, pop was 12. One of my absolute favourites was the Cherry Blossom; like a chocolate bar, it cost ten cents - but it was worth every single little bite.

Now that I’m an adult I prefer savory treats and rarely eat sweets or candy but once in a while I do indulge in a sweet and when I do, there’s nothing quite like a good old-fashioned Cherry Blossom. It’s one of those rare things that really does taste as good now as I remember it tasting way back when.

4 comments:

  1. Yummmm, I remember them! Although today I no longer think of them as yummm... they're so sweet!

    It's so hard to belive that the cost of one of these is up over what would that be? 100% I need Shayne and his math skills right now, I'm not in bed yet but on my way there! lol

    And back then pop and fries with gravy were under a dollar at Denny's. That gravy, I sure remember that gravy and what a huge treat that was, mind you I was about 11 or 12 by then, I was all grown up! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fries and gravy were soooooooo delicious, I wonder how they made that gravy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading that story, great idea for the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really yummy and sweet! I'm with you on the savory, but it is nice to have a little sweetness every once in awhile!

    ReplyDelete