Monday, April 20, 2009

A Necessary Evil

April 20, 2009 – Day 110

If you’re a woman in your 40s or older, you probably know what this ominous looking machine is for. If you’re a younger woman, you’ll discover what this ominous looking machine is for when you’re a little older. It’s not a machine that I like very much. They flatten breasts between plastic plates to take x-rays of them with this machine – but this testing (a mammogram) can help save lives by detecting early evidence of breast cancer. I learned from a poster that these x-rays can detect a lump three years before it can be felt by a regular breast exam. It’s one of those things in life I view as a necessary evil - and I had to go (routine doctor’s orders) for one of these nasty little tests today.

3 comments:

  1. Ouch, sounds as uncomfortable as a prostate exam. Necessarily evil as you say :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh oh, I think that it's time for another one of these for me, I'll check with my Dr. on Monday when I see him again.

    When I look at this "necessary evil machine" I am extremely grateful that I am not well endowed! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am NOT looking to that. I know that you have to, but...ouch!!

    ReplyDelete