Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year/New Projects

January 1, 2010 – Day 1

I’ve decided to do Project 365 for another year! I must admit that it’s rather intimidating to be right back at “Day 1” but I’ve had a lot of fun with this project in 2009 and I’m not ready to quit. I’m excited that my sister Darlene is going to do P365 for another year as well and that my sister Cathy is going to join us in this adventure this year! I’m also excited to have 2 coworkers joining me in P365 this year!

Today is the also the beginning of a new project I’ve come up with in an attempt to get healthier this year. I've named it "Superfoods 365".

Dr. Steven Pratt and Dr. Oz have lists of nutrient-dense food they call “superfoods” and I compiled a list to use based mainly on their recommendations; however, a few of the items on my list come from other sources. Without making any other changes to my diet, I'm planning to add 5 superfoods per day. I can have as many more superfoods as I want on any given day - but not less.

A few family members and coworkers are going to join me in this project but I've suggested to each that the number of superfoods a person chooses to add to their diet each day should be a personal thing. The number should be high enough to be a bit of a challenge but low enough to be realistic to stick to for an entire year. If you already eat 3 or 4 superfoods each day, 5 won't be much of a challenge, but if you're like me and eat little or no superfoods on most days, I'm thinking 5 will be enough of a challenge. If I follow this through, I'm thinking that I may choose to do 7 next year, but now, in my excitement, I'm getting ahead of myself.

I will choose (and record my choices (not weights or measurements) in this journal that I bought and “decorated” for my project) any 5 each day from this list of superfoods:

SUPER FOODS:

green tea, water, red wine

artichokes, asparagus, avocado, beans (string), beets, bok choy, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cabbage (red), cantaloupe, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chives, corn, cucumber, eggplant, green beans, kale, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, okra, onions, peas, peppers, peppers (hot), radishes, radishes (daikon), rhubarb, sauerkraut, scallions, soy, spinach, squash, sweet potato, tomatoes, turnips

acai, apples, apricots, bananas, blackberries, blueberries, cherries, cranberries, figs, grapefruit, grapes, honeydew, kiwi, lemons, limes, mangoes, nectarines, oranges, papaya, peaches, pears, pomegranates, prunes, pineapple, pumpkin, raspberries, strawberries, tangerines, watermelon

cod, crabs, eggs, flounder, lobster, salmon (wild), sardines turkey

barley, beans, buckwheat, lentils, nuts, oats, quinoa, seeds, spelt, walnuts

black pepper, cayenne, cinnamon, garlic, ginger, honey, horseradish, olives, olive oil (extra virgin, "cold pressed"), oregano, kefir, parsley, sea salt, turmeric, yogurt

irish moss, miso, sea vegetables, seaweed, umeboshi plums, wheat grass

dark chocolates

http://www.superfoodsrx.com/superfoods/
http://www.oprah.com/slideshow/omagazine/201001-omag-superfoods
http://ezinearticles.com/?Superfoods-List&id=2896813
http://ezinearticles.com/?Complete-List-of-the-Super-Foods&id=2481665

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post! I just got home from grocery shopping and took a few photos of my super foods. Mine include frozen blueberries, low sodium canned wild salmon, low sodium V8 juice, decaf green tea, bananas, celery, nuts, dried pineapple, frozen yogurt, plus I had previously gone out and stocked up on super foods specifically. I did have a lot of them already on hand, I do eat many of the super foods already which makes 5 a day realistic. Now I just have to ensure that I consume enough to add up to 5 a day, that will be the challenge for me.

    I love the journal idea. I think that I'll start myself one but on my computer, I'm going to be crazy busy for this month with college so if I can just type things it that will most likely keep me on track, or at least I hope it will!

    Once again, awesome post! Thanks for sharing this information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are continuing. Good luck with the Superfoods 365!

    ReplyDelete