Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Saffron


January 11, 2010 – Day 11

I think saffron is likely the most expensive spice in the world. I buy a bottle of it once or twice a year because Ken and I both love Saffron Rice (I use Basmati rice to make it) – and we have also enjoyed my attempts at other East Indian dishes that I make to go along with the rice. I opened a new jar of saffron tonight and this is the amount you get for about $14.00. The saffron is wrapped and folded in one cellophane kind of envelope inside another paper envelope that is tightly sealed, which are both folded up and sealed in the jar. You’d almost think it was illegal! :-)

To accompany my Saffron Rice tonight was my first ever, and so delicious, attempt at daal. I found the recipe on youtube. Yes, you can find pretty much anything on youtube! The recipe is called Red Lentil Curry and you can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1lQH8C6g1E

2 comments:

  1. I love saffron rice as well but I haven't made it in a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised at how expensive it was when we first went to purchase it as well. It's funny you mention it almost being illegal I sort of thought the same thing. I think drugs are actually cheaper than this stuff which is crazy when you think of it.

    ReplyDelete