Sunday, January 31, 2010

Girls Day Out


January 30, 2010 – Day 30

Today was girls day out! My sisters Darlene and Cathy, my niece Michelle and I spent most of the day together.

Our adventure began with a visit to the Old Strathcona Farmer’s Market. I bought a lot of goodies including: 2 dozen free-range brown chicken eggs, organic chicken breasts, ground chicken, ground beef, a few roasts (beef, pork and bison), golden flaxseed, carrots (both fresh and pickled), 2 Jamaican patties, a loaf of fresh homemade multigrain bread, Ukranian buns filled cottage cheese and dill, organic mini spinach and caramelized onion pita breads, homemade tabouli salad and tzaziki.

After unloading our pull cart – and our arms – we walked a few blocks to visit my cousin Shanda at work. Shanda manages Lush, a unique shoppe along Whyte Ave. that specializes in handmade bath and body products. We spent some time in the store – getting hand massages and being shown some of the products. In this photo Shanda is showing us how well the bubble bath foams up! Her job looks more like fun than work to me! I was sold on the strawberry scented bubble bath and also bought a chocolate shower bar and a lemon hand cream. Everything in the store looks and smells “delicious”.

After the fun we had in the store, Shanda came out to lunch with us. We ate at Chianti, also along Whyte Ave. I thoroughly enjoyed my choice for lunch: a whole wheat fettucini dish with sundried tomatoes and peas, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and cracked black pepper.

Shanda had to return to work after lunch but the rest of us stopped at Chapters, where I picked up a book I wanted (and a beginner yoga DVD that caught my eye).

From Chapters, we went to see a matinee at South Common. We didn’t have a movie in mind beforehand but once we got to the theater we chose to see “When in Rome” – a lightheared girlie love story.

It was a wonderfully fun day!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a blast. What a great load of stuff you got from the farmers market. The food you get there is always so fresh and great tasting!

    ReplyDelete