Monday, January 18, 2010

Ethnic Food Store


January 17, 2010 – Day 17

Ken and I both love East Indian food and since I’m looking for healthier recipes to try, I’ve decided to learn how to make more Indian food dishes since many of the recipes are both delicious and nutritious. Earlier this week I found a great website that has several wonderful recipes – and short video clips to show how each recipe is made. http://www.showmethecurry.com/
I printed out a couple of the recipes I want to try and made a list of vegetables and spices I would need. I went to Superstore today and found most of the ingredients. Although they have a good selection of East Indian spices, I was unable to find asafoetida powder. I asked an East Indian woman shopping for spices in the ethnic food section if she’s familiar with that spice. She said she knows it and took the time to help me look for it. She couldn’t find it either but we had a very nice chat. She asked what I was making and I told her that I need the spice for a spiced potato and cauliflower dish but I couldn’t remember the proper name of it at the time (it’s Aloo Gobi Masala). I told her how my husband and I love Indian food, mentioned the website I discovered and and how the website has videos to help take the mystery out of trying these new recipes. She seemed very interested and continued chatting with me so I also told her of the other dishes I’ve tried recently: a dish with peas, tomatoes and and paneer (I couldn’t remember the name of it at the time either but it’s “Matar Panir”) and Red Lentil Curry, which is “Daal”.

As we continued chatting, the woman told me there is an East Indian store on 144 Avenue. She couldn’t remember the street but gave me a few visual clues to help me find it. She said “he” would have the asafoetida powder. I had no idea there was an Indian store on the north side (within my driving comfort zone!) so I was thrilled with this new information! When I left Superstore, I drove right over to the store she recommended. I stopped at two wrong small strip malls on my way but I eventually found the right strip mall – and the store!

The moment I set foot inside I felt as though I had been transported to a foreign country. My senses were immersed with the heady smell of curry intermingled with incense, Indian music playing over the store intercom, shelves lined and crowded with every spice imaginable (and unimaginable), lentils, beans, rice, oils of all sorts, and so much more. Refrigerators were filled with paneer, roti, and many items I don't yet recognize. Adjacent to the food section of the store, through a narrow doorway, was the second part of the store. The walls were lined with silky fabric in every color of the rainbow and all shades between. I’m assuming the gorgeous fabric is mainly for saris.

I let the owner know that I loved his store and asked if he would allow me to take pictures. I felt honored to be allowed to do so – and now I know exactly where to go when I need more of the spices, lentils, oils, etc. to cook the East Indian dishes that are on my “to try” list!

1 comment:

  1. We have a few of these stores in our neighborhood. We haven't really ventured to try and make our own East Indian food though, even though we do like a lot of it. Maybe we'll have to take a trip to one of these stores sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete