Sunday, January 31, 2010

Beware of Sodium Nitrites



January 27, 2010 – Day 27

I have been buying Olympic bacon by the four-pack for years; I always thought it was the best bacon out there. However, the things I’m learning about what food processors put in some of the items we buy in the grocery stores has been, and continues to be, a real eye opener. I’ve read a lot of information recently that indicates sodium nitrites (and nitrates) are preservatives that may cause cancer. And I have yet to find out what sodium phophates and sodium erythorbates are (also ingredients listed on this package of bacon).

Every person has to decide for himself or herself what to eat or not eat – and whether or not to pay attention to ingredients on the packages of food they purchase but, now that I am becoming aware of these things, I choose to err on the side of caution and switch to healthier choices.

Ken and I both love bacon and I will continue to cook with it on occasion but it won’t be Olympic bacon, or any other brand of bacon that contains preservatives, that I’ll be cooking with. From now on, I will only buy bacon from a local butcher – one that doesn’t add preservatives and additives to the meat!

No comments:

Post a Comment