Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Puzzle Mania

December 29, 2009 – Day 363

Adam, Michael, Christine and Ian worked on a puzzle on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I love doing puzzles but, even though my kids took turns helping me in the kitchen, I didn’t get a chance to participate because I was busy preparing a bounty of snacks on Christmas Eve and a turkey dinner with all the trimmings on Christmas Day.

However, on Boxing Day, Christine brought out a box of ten puzzles that she received as a gift from Claire (Ashley’s step mom). Ian, Christine and I each chose a puzzle. Christine chose a 750 piece puzzle (the mailboxes); Ian chose a 500 piece puzzle (the waterfall) and I chose a 750 piece puzzle (the barn/farm house), and we began putting our puzzle pieces together. It was shortly after midnight when we got started: I didn’t get much done because I went to bed around 1:00 a.m., Christine turned in around 3:00 a.m., but Ian was up until 5:20 a.m. – just to finish his puzzle!

Ian started – and finished – a second 500 piece puzzle (the wolf) the next day!

Christine had breakfast plans with friends this morning so she let Ashley take over her puzzle after she left. Ashley was sure she’d be able to finish before it was time for them to leave for home early this afternoon but in the end she ran out of time and had to ask Ian to help her with the last 20 pieces or so. They (barely) finished the puzzle before they had to pick up Christine and head for home! Ian and Ashley gave me a couple minutes to take a picture of the puzzle once it was finished (which wasn’t the picture I chose for P365 because the puzzles Ian had put together had already been taken apart and packed away in Ziploc bags) – then they proceeded to take it apart, pack it up with the others and take it home with them (all of which I took pictures of)!

I don’t have my puzzle finished but Christine let me keep it here to finish. Once I’m done, I’ll take a picture, then take it apart to give back to Christine next time I see her.

It’s always so much fun to have my children, in-law children, and grandchildren come to visit but I feel overwhelming sadness and anxiety when it’s time to say goodbye. Even though Christine and her family only live 3 hours away, I had to choke back tears and fight a panic attack when they left today. I immediately turned my focus to cleaning house and went out to get a few groceries to keep myself from losing control of my emotions.

3 comments:

  1. Wow that is insane staying up that late just for a puzzle! I never was very good at puzzles, I just don't have the patience I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what Ken says about puzzles too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to love to do puzzles with my Mom, but I have not done one in a very long time. You sure do feel accomplished when they are completed.

    ReplyDelete