Friday, December 18, 2009

Glow Domes!

December 18, 2009 – Day 352

Before I even left the house this morning, I phoned around to see if any stores had the Glow Dome in stock, or got any in with their overnight shipments. I wasn’t surprised when every place I called said “no”, “no” and “no”. I was disappointed but not surprised after my luck, or lack of it, yesterday. I asked the person who took my call at one of the Toys R Us stores that I phoned if they had an Easy Bake oven and they were sold out of that as well. I was beginning to wonder if an Easy Bake oven was going to be as difficult to find as the Glow Dome!

I went to several stores and all I found was a spoon rest, salt and pepper grinder, a couple candles and a frame for myself :-) before I ended up at Superstore to do my grocery shopping. When I got to the store, I headed straight for the toy department just to check if they might have the Glow Dome in stock but I didn’t see any on the shelves. Before leaving the toys to shop for groceries, I saw a girl stocking shelves and asked her if they had the Glow Dome in stock (in case I overlooked it). No, she didn’t think so but remembered that she may have seen “something”. She hurried a couple aisles over and down to a stack of unopened cardboard boxes of toys. As she rummaged through the boxes I was thinking, “Oh please, please, please” but no luck. “Hang on” she said as she rushed away, down another aisle and around another corner to a second stack of unopened boxes. It took me a couple minutes but I caught up to her and watched as she rummaged through that stack as well. Nothing, nothing, nothing – but then she found the box she was looking for and pulled it out from the stack. She sliced it open with her exacto knife and showed me, as if revealing a newborn baby, or should I say babies – it was twins – two brand new packages of GLOW DOMES in all their glory!! I was ecstatic and took them both! Even though Christine found me a Glow Dome at the Walmart in Cold Lake last night, I was sure someone else could use one – and after the stark realization of how difficult it was to find a Glow Dome in Edmonton, I just couldn’t leave the second one behind.

It turned out well because Travis and Amanda want to buy the extra one for someone else they’re buying for!

Great marketing Crayola!

5 comments:

  1. That's so right on! I'm so very happy for you Jewel! This story reminds me of when Derek was young and wanted Teddy Ruxpin and Uncle Kieth went out to find it for me! I've never forgotten the trouble he went through to find what Derek had asked Santa for that year how uncle Kieth made young Derek's Christmas that year!

    I was ready to go combing the stores tomorrow for you, I'm glad that you did find it though... I can't even imagine what the stores will be like the Saturday before Christmas! Mind you I will have to go out just for a bit to one store, Michael's that is. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very kind of you to think to go to the stores for me! Thank you. I'm glad I found them this "easily" though. :-)

    I have to go back to Michael's as well. I went yesterday but forgot to take coupons with me.

    I remember the Teddy Ruxpin year too. I don't remember Keith finding one for Derek but remember how hard it was to find one for Adam. We ended up having to go way down to Heritage Mall but we did get one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear it worked out!

    I remember Derek's Teddy Ruxpin. That thing creeped me out, he absolutely loved it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Shayne, I thought Teddy Ruxpin was pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure that it is a huge relief to have found it. It actually looks like a really neat toy!

    ReplyDelete