Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My Thoughts on Fall

September 30, 2009 – Day 273

My fuchsia is still doing quite well considering how bitterly cold and windy it’s been the last few days. My vanilla marigolds in the back are also doing surprisingly well. I continue to water all of my plants and cling to the hope that the simple act of giving them moisture will somehow be enough to keep them alive, perhaps forever. Yet I know their ultimate fate – and they may not have much longer. Some people love fall but I find it depressing. It’s sad to watch the flowers, leaves and grass die, to see the geese begin to fly south for the winter and to feel the darkness creep into our day earlier in the evening and cling tenaciously to the morning.

3 comments:

  1. You make it sound so depressing! LOL Great journaling. I just got a chill from reading your post... now that is some powerful writing, well that or it's just cold in here!

    I have head that if you continue to water the plants that it helps to prevent them from freezing, I don't remember exactly what the theory is behind this but it did make sense when I heard it. I'm going to have to ask again and if I ever do remember and find out I will gladly share the concept behind this theory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After the frost this morning, I don't think they have much longer. Funny you should say that, I think the same thing about fall. It is depressing. Winter is on the way.

    If all our families weren't both from here I think Sandy and I would move some place warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I gave up on my flowers a long time ago. I am usually very successful for the first part of summer and then I gradually loose interest in them. I am curious how long you are going to be able to grow them.

    ReplyDelete