Thursday, October 1, 2009

Poster Student

October 1, 2009 – Day 274

Tonight after work, I attended a poster presentation at NorQuest College with my sister Darlene and niece Cheryl. Darlene is in the Social Work program and was selected to be one of ten students whose photo and story are printed on a poster that will remain on the walls of the college for one year. A smaller framed poster was presented to each of the students who appear on the posters and a bit of information about each poster-student was shared with those in attendance. Dinner was served after the presentation.

Darlene’s poster says, “I quit school and had my first child at 15. I worked in low-paying jobs until I started working in a lounge at 18. For a lonely single parent, a job as a bartender with easy access to alcohol turned out to be a deadly combination.

I did not like who I had become and the choices available to me, which dwindled with every drink. Three and a half years ago, alcoholism put me in palliative care. During my recovery, I knew in my heart that I wanted to be able to give back the hope that was so freely given to me.

Full of fear, anxiety and self-doubt, I opened the doors to NorQuest College. Two years later, I wore a cap and gown after completing my academic upgrading. I am now completing my first year practicum in the Social Work program. It has not always been easy, yet today I believe that anything is possible; I am living my dream. NorQuest helped me push past my self-imposed limitations. Today I feel like I can, and will, accomplish my dream of obtaining a degree in Social Work.”

In September, Darlene began her second year of the Social Work program at NorQuest college.

Congratulations Darlene – you’ve come a long way in a short time and I am very proud of you!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, thanks for getting the writing off the poster for us to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thank you Julie. I was going to do that and decided that I would share the experience instead, my blog was getting pretty long by the time I was done that! :-)

    ReplyDelete