Friday, October 9, 2009

Grandma

October 9, 2009 – Day 282

Michael and his fiance Kristy came by today. They did my weekly grocery shopping for me so I could stay home with Little Bear. They first stopped by the house to get my list and some money before going to the store. It was close to lunch time when they arrived and for each of us they brought A&W Teen burgers (a personal favourite) and coffee from Second Cup (Caramel Coretto for me, also a favourite of mine). They visited for a while before going out for the groceries and while we were visiting, Michael handed me a small’ish square box. My first thought was that it was another “Mother” cup. Since I’ve already received a new “Mother” or “Mom” cup from my four kids this year (as I’d requested from each of them early in the year), I thought Michael must have found another one that he liked enough to add to my collection, even though he’d already bought me one.

I opened the box and saw that, instead of “Mother”, the cup referred to “Grandma…”. My first thought was that Michael heard a comment I made about how nice it would be to also have “Grandma” cups from my grandchildren, so he decided to buy one on behalf of all of them, maybe just because he thought it was special and knew I would think so as well. But I wasn’t sure. I don’t remember my exact words, but I was genuinely puzzled and asked, “Grandma?”, “A Grandma cup?” “Why a Grandma cup from you Michael?” And then I began to realize why a Grandma cup from Michael – and Kristy! And, without thinking, the same words came out of my mouth again, but in a completely different tone (deeper and slower) and more of a rhetorical question this time, “Whyyyy a Grandma cup from you Michael”?!

I was kind of in shock and don’t exactly remember what Michael’s response was but whatever it was confirmed my thoughts of the previous few moments.

Considering this was the year I’d asked for a Mother cup from each of my kids, I think this was a creatively perfect way to find out that I’m going to be a Grandma again!

When Michael and Kristy returned from the grocery store, and I’d put away the food, the three of us spent a good part of the afternoon phoning and texting family and close friends to share the exciting news!

As an aside, we visited in the bonus room with the exits barricaded so Little Bear couldn’t go up or down the stairs. He slept quite a bit but every time he stirred, at least one of us rushed to his side to pet him or do whatever we could to try to make him more comfortable. He seemed to appreciate all the attention and affection. The vet’s office phoned this afternoon to check how he was doing today – gotta love an attentive vet like that and I guess that’s why we’ve never gone to any other vet since we first got Little Bear in December 1998.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, congrats! That is pretty exciting! Please pass on the congrats to Michael and Kristy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat way to share the news. Please pass along congrats from me as well!

    ReplyDelete