Thursday, October 22, 2009

Another Visit to the Vet

October 22, 2009 – Day 295

Last weekend we noticed that Little Bear was scratching his right ear; it was red inside, with spots of black residue. He had ear mites a few years ago and his ear looked the same as it had then so we assumed that was the problem. First thing Monday morning I went out and bought some Hexamite from the vet supply store and began treating his ears (I treated both as a precaution) as soon as I returned home with the drops. This morning was the fourth day of the treatment and Little Bear’s ear should have cleared up by now but it looked as bad if not worse than it had on the weekend. When I put the drops in this morning, Little Bear whimpered and after I put the drops in, he was scratching his ear and kept shaking his head.

Ken had already left for work and he was working “in the field” (away from the shop) today and we don’t have cell phones so I wasn’t able to get in touch with him to let him know that Little Bear had been scratching and shaking his head after the treatment this morning. I wanted to ask him to have the vet check Little Bear’s ears since he was already going to take Little Bear to the vet this afternoon to have his stitches removed. The only thing I could think to do was leave Ken a note - but I didn’t know for sure that he would see it before heading off to the vet.

I had to leave Little Bear at home with his cone on because he still had stitches - and I knew his ear was bothering him. I was super-stressed all day at work, worried about Little Bear and hoping Ken would find my note before heading off to the vet with him. The day seemed to drag.

Thankfully, Ken found my note and had the vet take a look at Little Bear’s ears. It turns out that it’s some kind of yeast infection. He needs treatment for 2 weeks and has to go back for a check up to make sure the infection is completely cleared up because if it isn’t, it can flare up again.

We didn’t have to pay to have Little Bear’s stitches removed today because post-op visits were included in the initial surgery bill two weeks ago – but the office call and medication for Little Bear’s ears was $183.05.

On a positive note, Little Bear's sutures came out and the tech told Ken everything is healing nicely. It's hard to imagine that his surgery was already two weeks ago today.

4 comments:

  1. That is awesome that the recovery went as planned. Too bad about the infection, poor guy is probably getting sick of the vet that's for sure.

    I can't believe I found the last couple on the planet that doesn't have cell phones. Do I win a prize or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Little Bear. I hope that he feels well again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha Shayne...I think WE should win the prize! LOL Even Grandpa Ross has a cell phone so I guess we really are behind. :-)

    I used to have a pay-as-you-go hand-me-down from auntie Cathy that I took on the highway whenever I travelled alone (once/yr and I did use it a few times in the approx 3 years I had it) but remember paying $10 to put some minutes on that phone and only used it for one local call before those minutes expired a month later! :-) Rogers discontinued the service they had for that cell phone 2 or 3 years ago so that was "it" for my cell phone experience. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the good wishes for Little Bear Sandy. I'm sure his ear infection is going to be cleared up in no time.

    ReplyDelete