Sunday, May 24, 2009

Flowers Are Planted!

May 24, 2009 – Day 144

Before I planted my flowers yesterday, I decided to add another 7” to the depth of this little flower garden. I’ve never turned sod (I think that’s what it’s called) before and I thought it was going to be an easy thing – just a little 7” strip (along a length of maybe 10’). I’ll think twice about ever doing that job myself again - it wasn’t an easy thing at all!

I could not get the shovel to cut into the grass so I “sliced” into the grass and dirt below with an old butcher knife and that made it easier, although still far from “easy”. I got the job done but I have aching muscles today that I didn't even know I had! It hurts to go up and down the stairs or bend over. The heels of the palms of my hands are sore AND I got a little too much sun on my arms and legs so my skin is tender and itchy!

It feels rewarding to have the job complete though! Gardening is an experimental learning experience for me so I can’t wait to see how the flowerbed looks once the flowers grow.

(I'm not really happy with this picture. I think I could have got a better photo if I'd have taken the shot low and from the side - but it's late, it's dark out, I'm tired - and hurting, so this is going to be "it" for today.)

5 comments:

  1. Rule number one in gardening, when working with shovels ensure you have really good gloves on, I use the deerskin ones, riding gloves actually.

    Rule number two, no job is ever as easy as it looks when you take on a project such as you did, take your time!

    Rule number three, take a break every now and again

    Rule number four, when it's all done, stand back, sore muscles and all and watch God's beauty come to life right before your very eyes!

    I love your photo and from what I can tell it's going to be absolutely stunning! It looks so good right now but I still can't wait until the flowers are in full bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy does flowers at our house every year as well. What a lot of effort for sure. I'm not a big flower kind of guy and if she didn't do it I couldn't be bothered. That being said though, they do end up looking nice :)

    Yours look great too AJ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the nice compliments. Those sound like great tips Darlene - for next year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy macaroni that is alot of flowers and your bed looks awesome. I really would love to have a bed like this, but I have enough troubles with potted flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sandy. This was all grass when we moved in. Ken tore up the first 2' for me three years ago (our first summer here). This year I wanted it bigger but he didn't think it needed to be bigger. I "won" when I said I'd do it myself lol (little did I realize what I was in for - but I have no regrets).

    ReplyDelete