Saturday, January 31, 2009

Happy New Year!

My friend Jen and I went on a little adventure to shop in Chinatown today. At the Garden Bakery (10019-106 Ave), we bought fresh baked buns filled with Bar-B-Q pork, curried beef, ham and cheese and coconut cream filled dessert buns. Then we shopped at Lucky 97, a Chinese supermarket on 97th Street. I bought two teacups with lids, green tea, jasmine tea, Bar-B-Q pork, raw shrimp and several prepared frozen dim sum items. Jen bought a cute little teapot with a couple matching tea cups and several kinds of tea.

When we headed out to Chinatown this morning, we didn’t realize the celebration of Lunar New Year was taking place today – it was a special surprise! Loud drums and cymbals played while Chinese dragons paraded through the store followed by an outdoor display of dancing dragons and LOUD firecrackers!

The place was packed, both indoors and out and we were right in the middle of it!

3 comments:

  1. Right on, wow, lucky you to have experienced the Chinese New Years and the bonus is that you had your camera on hand to get the picture! Did anyone give you, most likely spelling this wrong but here goes.... hang pow? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pleasant surprise!

    Let me know if the jasmine tea tastes at all like the stuff at Dim Sum. I just love that tea but I can never find stuff that tastes the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so neat! I would have loved to see that! I will have to remember for next year!

    ReplyDelete