Sunday, February 14, 2010

Jalapenos


February 12, 2010 – Day 43

I went out early this morning to do my weekly grocery shopping. I especially needed to buy a couple jalapeños for a new recipe (Mexican Bean and Rice Salad http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mexican-Bean-and-Rice-Salad/Detail.aspx) that I wanted to make for supper tonight. Ken and I went to Costco last night so I didn’t need many other things. I decided to go to Sobey’s for a change. It’s one of the smaller grocery stores in our neighbourhood and I thought I’d be in and out, and back home, in no time.

Once at the store, I put a few things in my cart but when I got to the jalapeño shelf, it was empty; there was not a single jalapeño in sight. I asked a store employee if they had any in the back but they didn’t.

Since I had to go to another store for jalapeños anyway, I put back the few items I had in my cart and decided to do all my shopping at Superstore. Even though I don’t buy jalapeños often, I notice that they always seem to be well-stocked. And sure enough - they had plenty. I picked out two, put them into a small plastic veggie/fruit bag and into my cart. Even if I would have left the store with nothing besides those two jalapeños, I’d have been happy – because they were the important item of the day.

But I did take the time to go around the store to gather the other items I would need for the upcoming week and returned home. After I’d put most of the groceries away and began to set aside ingredients for the new recipe I was going to try, I realized that I hadn’t seen the jalapeños. I was sure they must be in the last bag of groceries that I didn’t put away yet. I checked – and they weren’t there.

I double checked the other grocery bags in case I overlooked them when I put the groceries away but they weren’t there either. So I scanned my receipt. No jalapeños! I know, without a doubt, that I had them in my cart – but I think I had them in that upper part (where kids sit) and they must have fallen through the cracks at some point while I shopped.

In any event – I didn’t have jalapeños for the recipe. I knew I’d have to go out again to get some, even though I had no desire whatsoever to do so. It turned out that I didn’t have to – because Ken offered to go out and buy them! Hooray Ken!

No comments:

Post a Comment