Monday, February 22, 2010

Gunky


February 19, 2010 – Day 50

Last week a coworker (Stacey) brought a lunch that looked delicious. I asked her what it was called and if she would mind sharing the recipe with me. Stacey said a member of her family called it “Gunky” one day and the name stuck so that’s what she calls it – and she shared the recipe with me. I made it last night for supper and it was as delicious as I thought it would be! I don’t know the “real” name of it, so “Gunky” it is.
If you want to try Gunky: sauté an onion, 2 (I used 4) minced cloves of garlic, 2 chopped green peppers and 1 ½ cups chopped mushrooms in a tablespoon of olive oil. After about 10 minutes, add ½ cup water, 1 large can of tomatoes, 1 can of drained and rinsed kidney beans (Stacey used black beans and so did I), ¾ cup uncooked wild rice (I used a brown/wild rice blend), 1 tablespoon chili powder, 2 teaspoons cumin, ¼ teaspoon cayenne or pepper flakes (I used both). Stacey added about 1 cup frozen corn so I did as well; I added the corn about 10 minutes before the dish was finished. When everything is cooked, sprinkle cheese over and warm in oven until melted. I cooked this in a large frying pan and just added cheese to the top a few minutes before serving. Stacey said this can be eaten with plain yogurt or sour cream. Ken and I ate it without either but we both thought it would be delicious with tacos, sour cream (or yogurt) and salsa.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know why my paragraphs don't stay separated sometimes...frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really good, funny name for a dish though!

    ReplyDelete