Friday, July 31, 2009

Seven Years Ago

July 31, 2009 - Day 212

It was seven years ago today that mom was killed in a head-on collision on the highway on her way home from work. An 86-year old driver heading the opposite direction swerved into her lane at highway speed, directly in front of her, leaving mom no time to react or respond - she was killed instantly. The 86-year old man walked away from the accident with a scratch or two.

It’s hard to believe it has been seven years. Mom is still so much alive in my thoughts and memories. She is also very much alive in the dreams I have of her from time to time. I love mom so much and miss her dearly and even seven years later, it makes me cry to write these words.

Mom was 16 years old in the picture Darlene included in the paper; she was 60 when she died.

Mom lived 18 minutes south of Barrhead when the accident occurred and my sister Darlene faithfully puts a memorial in the town’s newspaper (the Barrhead Leader) on the anniversary of mom's death each year. She also makes sure that we each (her sisters) get a copy of the paper. I haven’t received my physical paper yet but my sister Cathy sent us an online link http://www.barrheadleader.com/update/announcements.pdf to the memorial a few days ago (I printed that copy and took a picture of it).

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this Jewel, it sure is sad when I too think of Mom. I am now in a better place with her death but will always treasure her in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you did that every year Mom. That is very special. She is missed by many, I can't believe it's been 7 years either.

    ReplyDelete