Friday, June 5, 2009

Care Package

June 5, 2009 – Day 156

Two or three times a year I send a “care” package to my son Travis and his family. They live in Grande Prairie, which is only six hours away, but I don’t travel much and neither do they so I don’t get to see them often.

Travis and Amanda’s daughter, my sweetheart granddaughter, Hannah, turns five years old on Wednesday, June 10th. I bought her a card (and put money in it for her to pick out a birthday gift from “Grandma and Ken”) but instead of sending the card alone, I thought it was about time to send another package for the family since it’s been quite a while since I sent the last one.

Included in the package are treats for each of the kids: wall stickers for Faith and Hannah and a toy car for Owen. Also included are pictures for Travis and Amanda and several individually wrapped mini chocolate bars for everyone. There is also a mini package of Kraft Dinner for each of the kids and one of my homemade pizza buns for everyone.

I sent the parcel Express Post but since it’s Friday, they won’t get it until Monday. The pizza buns were frozen when I mailed the package and, ideally, I’d like them to receive them the next day. I know they’ll still be good on Monday but it bothers me that they may not be as good as they would have been on Saturday! I thought parcels were delivered on Saturdays if you paid the Express Post fee – which means next day service. Canada Post is a federal government organization though so I guess I should have known better!

(wish I would have shown more of the contents of the package but it’s too late, the parcel is already on its way to Grande Prairie)

4 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea and extremely thoughtful of you Jewel, I bet that they all love receiving the packages.

    I sure hope that Express Post delivers like they're supposed to, I sent away a bursary application last week with the deadline being June 1, almost $18 later it'd best get there on time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do love when a package comes from Grandma. I was on the phone with Travis last time and he was giving me a play-by-play as the kids were opening the package. He really didn't have to though because I could hear them shouting and squealing in the background as they were opening the package. LOL It's hard to find something extra special in this day and age when kids have everything but I think this qualifies as being extra special for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. I remember you pizza buns from when I was younger, they are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is very nice and I am sure that they all really appreciate it! I too have had your pizza buns and they are delicious.

    ReplyDelete