Monday, March 30, 2009

What's Old is New

March 30, 2009 - Day 89

My sister Darlene posted a picture of her cast iron frying pan as one of her Project 365 pictures a couple weeks ago. She uses it regularly and it looked so old-fashioned and wonderfully seasoned that I wanted one of my own!

I remembered having a set several years ago, which I’m quite sure I bought at Macleod’s in High Prairie in the late 1970s, and we bought an extra large one in 1999 as we were preparing for Y2K and for our electricity to disappear. We imagined it may be necessary to cook for a large group of people over an open fire in the backyard!

Cast iron frying pans were always a mystery to me; I never knew how to take care of them, don’t remember ever using them regularly - and I even tried to sell them in garage sales I’ve had! I was thrilled to discover that they didn’t sell in a garage sale or been given away as I thought, but that I still had them - a whole “family” of beautiful cast iron frying pans sitting on a shelf in my basement!

I found instructions online on how to clean the rust out of them, how to season them and how to take proper care of them in the future.

After I spent a few hours (including the oven time) cleaning and seasoning my “new” frying pans today, I was so excited to use one that I had to find something to “fry” for supper; I made spaghetti sauce.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. darlin said...
    Wow, I am so impressed! Did you notice how the pan spreads the heat evenly thoughout? I should have cautioned you to use oven mitts when you want to move the frying pan, they get nice and warm! But how could I caution you, who would have thought! I'm soooo happy that you're trying them, if all goes well in your trial period you will NEVER go back to the other frying pans, or at least I don't think that you will!
    When you do go to clean them, if by chance something is stuck on the bottom, just put some water in the frying pan and boil the water, then the cast iron cleans up so easy!
    Have fun with them, like I said I sure won't part with mine! Oh and that perogy sauce I taught you how to make, these work the absolute best for that sauce!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We found ours just found ours recently, but I have not used it yet. It probably needs to be reseasoned as well.

    ReplyDelete