Sunday, March 22, 2009

Spring and Summer 1939

March 22, 2009 - Day 81

Baba gave me this 1939 Spring and Summer Eaton’s catalogue in 1977. She gave me a 1966 catalogue at the same time, but since it wasn’t very “old” back then, I didn’t appreciate it as much as I appreciated this one (I loved old things even way back when I was a teenager). Eventually, I let Christine cut pictures out of the 1966 catalogue - because cutting pictures out of catalogues was one of my favourite things to do when I was young so I thought she’d enjoy it as well.

The prices were so much lower in this old catalogue than they are now (although wages would have been as well) and fun to look at. For example, there are several pages of women’s dresses to chose from, ranging in price from 99 cents to $5.98 (with very few more expensive than $3.98). There is one wedding dress for $7.95. There are six pages of women’s hats to chose from, ranging in price from 29 cents to $2.79 (the most expensive one is made from fur felt). For women, there are only 8 pairs of pants ($1.00 - $2.59) and 2 pairs of overalls (($1.25 - $1.49) to chose from. Girdles were popular, with 7 pages of selection to chose from! Underwear was very different, with most “undies” (for women) reaching just above the knee!

You could buy 3 pairs of all-wool men’s work socks for $1.15. Men’s pants range in price from $1.98 - $4.50 (the expensive pair were “Glen” Check Worsteds); three-piece suits range in price from $12.95 - $21.50. There’s one pair of men’s swim trunks (in flander’s blue only) for $1.35 and one zip top men’s swim suit (yes, there is a top and it zips to the bottom!) for $1.79.

You name it, chances are you could have bought it in this catalogue – farm supplies, saddles, harnesses, and all sorts of other horse and wagon supplies, fencing, tires, tools, luggage, furniture, pots & pans, dishes, wallpaper, linoleum, fabric – and even “medicine”! How about some “Fellows’ Compound Syrup of Hypophosphites - A nerve tonic” ($1.39) or maybe you’re low on “Beef, Iron and Wine - A good mild tonic for invalids and older people” (75 cents) or “Parmint (Double Strength) – for the treament of catarrh and head noises” ( 79 cents)! Constipated? “Eaton’s Medicinal Petroleum” might help. It’s “odorless and tasteless…a fine heavy grade oil” (only 65 cents for a 20-oz. bottle!).

This catalogue is one of my favourite things.

2 comments:

  1. That is so neat! I love looking at old things too. As I get older I'm learning how enjoyable nostalgia can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see it one time..what a treasure!

    ReplyDelete