Thursday, August 27, 2009

Homemade Borscht

August 24, 2009 – Day 236

I made a large pot of borscht late last week while Christine, Ian and the kids were visiting. Ken and I are just finishing the last of it now.

I don’t follow a recipe for borscht and the ingredients I use sometimes vary. In this batch of borscht I used: ham broth (I boiled a ham bone for about 3 hours to prepare the broth), a bit of cubed cooked ham, beets, beet greens, potatoes, peas, carrots, cabbage, dill, vinegar and sour cream. It was a real treat, especially because most of the ingredients came from my sister Marilyn’s garden.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds really good. I haven't had borscht in AGES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only ever tried borscht once. I think that it was good, but I don't remember now. Your recipe looks fantastic and delicious.

    ReplyDelete