Friday, March 5, 2010

Saying my Goodbyes


February 23, 2010 – Day 54

My sister Darlene bought me this ornament for Christmas many, many years ago. I was probably in my early to mid twenties when she bought it and at first I didn’t particularly care for it. Eventually however, this woman and her dog grew on me – and ultimately became one of my favourite things. I cared for the woman so much that even when she fell and broke her arm right off, I couldn’t bear to part with her. I’m pretty sure it was Ken who did the repairs (the best he could, considering the severity of the break) and the woman and her dog stuck with me for many more years.

But now that I’m doing some serious decluttering of my house, I would like to lay the woman and her dog to rest. They’ve been with me for so long that my heart is torn but it is exactly this sentimental attachment to things that keeps me hanging on to too much for too long - and unless my sister wants the ornament back, I’m going to sever my heart strings and let it go. And now I have this picture to help me remember the woman and her dog forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment