Friday, March 5, 2010

One Room Decluttered

March 1, 2010 – Day 60

Other than a lamp or an ornament for the magazine rack beside the big chair, my living room is completely decluttered and redecorated! I’m anticipating that it’s going to be much quicker and easier to clean considering how much “stuff” (small ornaments, framed pictures (I'll scrapbook them) and junk out of the coffee table and end table drawers) I packed up to get rid of. I was going to donate everything to the Cerebral Palsy Association (CPAA) on Friday but Ken suggested we have a garage sale this summer and make some of our money back that we’ve spent on all this stuff over the years – so that’s what we’ve decided to do. I donated a garbage bag full of clothes to CPAA but we kept the boxes of stuff to sell. Including some decluttering I’ve done in other rooms as well, I have a total of six boxes filled to put towards a garage sale and I'll have many more by the time I'm done going through the rest of my house.

I’m not following flylady’s zone-cleaning schedule yet but I’ve totally been inspired by her philosophy of getting rid of the clutter - without having to get it all done in one day! Flylady recommends working in 15-minute blocks of time, take breaks, keep your kitchen sink clean and shiny, and give the bathroom a daily 5-minute “swish and swipe” to keep it company-clean at all times. I’ve been doing those things for the most part. I have one bathroom completely decluttered, swish and swipe ready but I still have 2 more bathrooms to declutter before they're ready for the 5-minute daily swish and swipe. But I'm beginning to feel like I’m on top of the housework – and I love that feeling!

Cleaning house like this reminds me of my aunt Joan. She has always kept a spotless house – I think “flying” just comes natural to her. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment